Monday, July 13, 2009

New Inductees into Fairgrounds Speedway Hall of Fame

If you skipped race night at the Fairgrounds Speedway on Saturday, July 11th, you missed another memorable event scripted especially for the history books!

After dodging the weather all afternoon, an energized assembly of fans witnessed four legendary drivers and the ‘Voice of the Fairgrounds” as they were inducted into the newly-restored Fairgrounds Speedway Hall of Fame at the .596 asphalt speedway.

The inductees were the late Marty Robbins, former track champions Chad Chaffin, Sterling Marlin, and Joe Buford, and 25-year veteran track announcer, Joe Williams.

Ronnie Robbins, Marty’s son, was on hand to accept the honor on behalf of his famous father. Robbins said, “My dad would be so proud to be honored here tonight. He loved this little track. Dad is well-known in Nashville as a singer and musician, but racing was always a strong passion too. I’m tickled to be here on stage with all these great former drivers and will always be grateful to this track and the fans for always loving my father.”

Sterling Marlin, former NASCAR star, two-time Daytona 500 winner, and 3-time Fairgrounds Speedway Late Model champion stated, “I’ve been coming to the Fairgrounds Speedway since I was only 2-months old, back when Daddy (legendary Coo Coo Marlin) raced here. I grew up on this track before moving on to NASCAR. This will always be my home track. My son, Steadman, races here and my daughter, Sutherlin, is getting ready to make her Truck debut next weekend. I’ve been here all my life and I appreciate being inducted into the Fairgrounds Speedway Hall of Fame.”

Chad Chaffin, 2-time speedway champion said, “I have to thank my Dad and entire family first and foremost. I’m honored to be considered for the Hall of Fame as I look around on stage at the men I’m standing here with. This is a great night and I want to thank everyone here for voting me in and it’s a true honor.”

Joe Buford, winningest driver in the history of the Fairgrounds and 4-time track champion said, “I’m so glad my dad, Hall of Fame member Flookie Buford, is here with me to share in this night. It’s an honor to be inducted and I’m happy to see the track reinstating the Hall of Fame. It’s been an exciting night and I plan to be out here for many more races this season.”

The “Voice of the Fairgrounds Speedway”, Joe Williams, was the surprise, previously unannounced inductee, and surprised he was! Williams stated, “I make a career out of what I say as an announcer, but I’m truly at a loss for words. I truly, truly appreciate it and never, ever dreamed this would happen. Thank you all.”

Track promoter Danny Denson added, “We are all working hard here at the track to build this place back into something the city of Nashville can be proud of and support. The drivers and fans appreciate it and that means a lot to all of us behind the scenes working week in and week out. I’m thrilled to have these fine men inducted into our Hall of Fame and we plan another induction ceremony later in the year and adding in more legendary people connected with the Fairgrounds Speedway.”

No comments:

Post a Comment